Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: obs violates the debian policy §4.9.1
On Saturday April 2 2011 18:02:30 peer wrote:
On 04/02/2011 05:45 PM, peer wrote:
On 03/31/2011 08:48 PM, Stephan Kleine wrote:
@Peer: did you file a bug about that at cdbs upstream?

Yes I did file a bugreport, this is the reply:
When building cdbs on the opensuse buildservice (obs), cdbs fails.
Obs uses parallel building by default.

I believe this can only happen if obs plays tricks to enforce parallel
building - e.g. directly sets make option -j - which is unsupported.

Obs should follow Debian Policy §4.9.1 and only _request_ the use of
parallel building with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=n.

I am therefore closing this as a non-bug. You are quite welcome to
continue posting to this bugreport (closed does not mean closed for
debate), to try convince us that this is in fact a bug in this
package, not in your build environment.

A small verification with osc build -j 1 shows that once more, debian
stuff just does not work properly in parallel builds...

...or it simply shows that obs is failing in its attempts to outsmart
explicitly documented behaviour of Debian.

And what would the packager do to enable parallel builds ?
He would do some bash scripting in the rules file to get the # of
parallel builds to from the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS env variable and then
calls make with the parsed argument which is butt ugly to say it
politely.

This is butt ugly?:

DEB_BUILD_PARALLEL=yes

Please note that above deliberately was _not_ added to the CDBS
packaging, because we - the package maintainers of CDBS - did not feel
that "the package build times are long enough and the package build
system is robust enough to make supporting parallel builds worthwhile"
as it is phrased in Debian Policy §4.9.1.

Here is the bug report

Well, it is obvious that the debian folks don´t care about anything outside
their ivory tower. I meant filing a bug at the cdbs upstream that their build
scripts are broken cause being unable to build in parallel _is_ a bug IMHO, so
they would perhaps fix this.

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the cdbs package:

#620350: cdbs fails when building in parallel

It has been closed by Jonas Smedegaard<dr@xxxxxxxx> (reply
to620350@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jonas
Smedegaard<dr@xxxxxxxx> (reply to620350@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) by replying to
this email.