Re: [opensuse-buildservice] regarding the download_url service
Am Freitag, 18. Februar 2011, 14:50:01 schrieb Jon Nelson:
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 18. Februar 2011, 12:35:56 schrieb Jon Nelson:
I have some questions regarding the download_url service.

Under what conditions do services run?

On every source change and when manually triggered.

Please humor me - assume I am an idiot.

What events or actions constitute a 'source change'. Changing the
specfile? A patch? Obviously changing the _service file.

Any change in any source file. Since a source service can read and modify any
source
file, including repacking the tar ball or what ever exists.

If the source was downloaded successfully before, and the _service
file has not changed, why run the download file service again?

Basically, if the download url service runs too frequently, I can see
it repeatedly downloading files from sites that do not need to be
re-downloaded. For large files this is obnoxious, and not very nice to
the sites in any case.

source services are a general unix/plugin concept. They can do anything,
so the server can't know if the result is still the same (eg. when you
reformat
the spec file with the service, try to auto-update a package or creating
patches automatically).

Right. So, for now, to prevent the re-download of files every time
<something> changes, I should not use download_url.

Yes. Or you use the "trylocal" or "disabled" mode. It still documents from where
the tar ball comes, but it gets commited together with the commit.

You need the osc from openSUSE:Tools:Unstable or from git repo though for this.
Details are in our OBS book:

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/OBS/obs-reference-guide/cha.obs.source_service.html

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/OBS/obs-best-practices/cha.obs.best-practices.howto.html#id370034

SUSE Linux Products GmbH