Re: [opensuse-buildservice] regarding the download_url service
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:50:01 -0600
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 18. Februar 2011, 12:35:56 schrieb Jon Nelson:
 I have some questions regarding the download_url service.

 Under what conditions do services run?

On every source change and when manually triggered.

Please humor me - assume I am an idiot.

What events or actions constitute a 'source change'. Changing the
specfile? A patch? Obviously changing the _service file.

 If the source was downloaded successfully before, and the _service
 file has not changed, why run the download file service again?

 Basically, if the download url service runs too frequently, I can see
 it repeatedly downloading files from sites that do not need to be
 re-downloaded. For large files this is obnoxious, and not very nice to
 the sites in any case.

source services are a general unix/plugin concept. They can do anything,
so the server can't know if the result is still the same (eg. when you
reformat
the spec file with the service, try to auto-update a package or creating
patches automatically).

Right. So, for now, to prevent the re-download of files every time
<something> changes, I should not use download_url.

--
Jon