Re: [opensuse-marketing] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposed OBS rename / + BRETZN name
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 17:01:03 -0500
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:10:55 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
<snip>
This is a proposal that actually has been brought up before in some
marketing discussions.  I strongly believe we need to change the name
openSUSE Build Service to Open Build Service because from a marketing
perspective it is a lot easier to sell OBS.  OBS is a tool that is not
limited to openSUSE and thus it should not have a name that limits
public perception in that way.   Open Build Service (powered by the
openSUSE Project) has a better chance at larger adoption.

Those of us who discussed it decided to hold off a few months at the
time because we didn't want to rock the boat and there were other things
happening.  But now I believe the momentum is right for the name change.
We're really starting to build up on the fact that "openSUSE" is not a
distribution but a Project, and that you can participate and benefit
from the Project without even using the distro.  This is what we're
really here for, to create a community that can collaborate across
borders and provide services that do not limit you to the use of the
distribution itself.

Yup! At the conference I got several people interested in OBS by stating that
very clearly: "I don't care if you use Fedora or Ubuntu, OBS is interesting
for you because it builds packages for all distro's!" "oh, really, does it?
It's not just for openSUSE?" "No, OBS is cross-distribution. MeeGo uses it, so
does VLC to build packages for all distro's"

== a small technical glitch

If you really want OBS to attract cross platform developers of small
packages, you need to allow a package to have more control of its
build targets.

I'll use my trivial open2300 package as an example again. In my home
project, I control the repos, so I can build for any of the supported
targets.

But I submitted it to the Hardware devel project a couple months ago.
That project only builds for openSUSE and SLE.

As far as I know, there is nothing I can do about that. So
non-openSUSE users that might come looking for it at OBS have to
search home directories if they want to find it.

I was actually pretty disappointed to realize that, and it made OBS
feel much less open to me.

Greg