Re: [opensuse-marketing] Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Proposed OBS rename / + BRETZN name
On Wednesday 02 February 2011 21:21:59 Bryen M. Yunashko wrote:
On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 14:46 +1100, Helen wrote:
On a related note, I was under the impression that Bretzn was being
renamed to 'AppInstaller' though perhaps I've got the "wrong end of
the stick" as the saying goes.

Maybe we should come up with something that conforms with our "open"
identity? Something like openApp or openInstaller or something? I
dunno, "installer" sounds a bit intimidating to some people, but
open-something might be the way to go.

Well, the name of the application for installation is "openSUSE Application
Installer", see:
http://news.opensuse.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/appstore_details.png

The product you might call 'bretzn' is the plugin for IDE's which ties the
Build Service(s) to application store(s), websites and repositories.

And the name of the whole project developing it is Bretzn. But it's still
vague because - is Bretzn a KDE project? or is it an openSUSE project? The ppl
who started it are KDE and openSUSE people. But they want it to be cross-
desktop and cross-distribution as well as based on open standards (eg
libattica, OCS).

So the bretzn branding is surely unclear in general. I've copied in
Karlitschek who started this whole thing, and vuntz who's been busy on the
cross-distro side (and might get involved with the GNOME application installer
on openSUSE).

I've recently asked Frank to move the Bretzn mailinglist to freedesktop.org -
a cross-desktop, cross-distro project with a mailinglist named "kde-
bretzn@xxxxxxx" doesn't make much sense. Still, unless people from other
distros and desktops actually get involved, it's not much of a cross-project.
I think we should get the people who are working on this stuff for KDE, GNOME
and all distro's together on that one new mailinglist...

Meanwhile, we do indeed need to think about the name. How big is the scope of
Bretzn, and IF we decide it's fully cross desktop/distro, is Bretzn the right
name? It has indeed disadvantages, being hard to spell and pronounce for non-
Germans...

Just thinking out loud here.

Bryen