Re: [opensuse-buildservice] linux-libc-dev in ubuntu/debian repo project config
  • From: Roman Valov <roman.valov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:30:10 +0300
В Пт., 21/01/2011 в 13:35 +0300, Adrian Schröter пишет:
Am Mittwoch, 19. Januar 2011, 19:48:06 schrieb Roman Valov:
should be provided by linux-libc-dev package.

However this package is marked is Build-Essential, it's not installed in

what does Build-Essential mean ?

Is it part of your prjconf ?

According to debian packaging policy build-essential is base set of
packages needed to build other packages (and they're not required to be
defined in debian/control file as explicit dependencies), more detailed:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/build-essential

Currently as a workaround, I manually add this package into
Build-Depends field of dsc file and thus able to complete kernel package

well, if the package needs it, it is not a workaround, it is a fix, IMHO.

Hm. "linux-libc-dev" is a dependency of "libc6-dev". Last one is
mentioned in build-essential package list pointed earlier. "libc6-dev"
itself is installed but it's dependencies are not satisfied. libc6-dev
is in turn a dependency of build-essential package and so, once somebody
install build-essential meta-package on a native debian/ubuntu system --
linux-libc-dev will be installed due to dependencies.

i.e. I see 'build-essential' is included in ubuntu 10.04 prjconf
( https://build.opensuse.org/project/prjconf?package=&project=Ubuntu:10.04 ):

Required: build-essential

but according to wiki, packages from "Required" are installed using dpkg
without dependencies -- please fix me if I'm wrong. Actually
build-essential is just a meta-package and it's major meaning is to
install all dependent packages.

On the other hand I see libc6-dev itself is installed, but I can't found
this package mentioned in prjconf for Ubuntu 10.04. So it's unclear for
me why libc6-dev is installed but it's dependency (linux-libc-dev) is
not.

Regards, Roman.