Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Policy about accepting one's own submit requests
  • From: Peter Linnell <mrdocs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:17:03 +0100
On 12/16/2010 12:02 PM, Jan-Simon Möller wrote:
Hi !

Am Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2010, 11:34:24 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
Am Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2010 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
Hi,

yesterday we had a discussion on the #build-service channel that a
per-project (or maybe even global) option which denies users to accept
their own submit requests would be nice.
[...]

This will only lead to more maintainers breaking the packages directly in the
project instead of preparing the update in a branch and then submit (and
accept) if it works.

I like the >2 eyes approach ;) - basically the idea is fine and may be valid
for development projects (like devel:foobar) which are managed by more
than one user.
For projects like Factory, this is already done as only few ppl
can accept the requests.

Nota bene: this might already work by common agreement and
proofs to be really stable (both process and quality-wise).
But it requires ppl to agree and talk to each other ;) .

Coolo's point is valid. If the volume gets high, ppl tend to just accept
things in daily routine.

I wouldn't make it a global flag - a project flag maybe (or attribute
possibly) ?

+1 Moreover, it should be set off as default as well.

Best,
Jan-Simon

I agree with the concept, but the reality is we do not have enough
skilled maintainers to do the 2nd check all the time. If it became
mandatory, you probably would be getting then only a cursory QA most often.

Unlike say a kernel commit, we have some immediate feedback with OBS,
where a bad kernel commit might not surface for, weeks if not months.

Cheers,
Peter