Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Where to discuss package-specific questions?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:52:31 -0500
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
OBS is full of many interesting packages. Lots of maintainers (if the
Novell site is correct, there are over 20000 developers using OBS).
Occasionally I come across a question about a specific OBS project. I am
usually unsure where to address questions. Some projects list a dozens
or so people, with no clear idea who is actually active, or who might
respond to questions. Obviously, OBS itself can do nothing about this.
It is more a social/organizational question. This list is, I think,
geared to OBS itself more than to packages in OBS. Questions about any
specific package seems outside the scope of this list.

I am wondering if there is some informal way OBS developers AND USERS
are assumed to be communicating. It would be nice if OBS had a 'contact
us' button for each project that allowed a message to be sent to the
project's designated "question-answerer". (I bet someone will now tell
me that I have missed the big green button that does this:)) I think
this question will become more important as more and more people begin
to use packages in OBS.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Roger,

I don't know a great answer, but two things you can do is look to see
who the bugowners are and who is accepting SRs for the package(s) you
are interested in.

As a very minor example I am supporting open2300.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/users?package=open2300&project=hard

You can see I'm the only bugowner not inherited from the project.

And on:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/source_history?package=open2300&project=hardware

You can see AJ accepted the initial submission (#1), but I did the
subsequent one.

Greg