Re: [opensuse-buildservice] project hasn't starting building for 20 hours and counting...
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:06:27 +0100
Am Freitag 03 Dezember 2010 schrieb Hans-Peter Jansen:

OTOH, monster projects like windows:mingw:win{32,64} seem to be
preferred for some reason. At least, they built several hundred
packages during the last two days, while _none_ of mine.

Douglas, see, it still can get worser.

We'll have to be patient and should be happy, if it finally builds
something for us, too..

This is a problem we discussed just yesterday - we see it too and
want to solve it, but we're unsure how.

One thing to do surely is to clean up stuff that noone touched for years.
Adrian sent around a list of projects to get rid of repositories, but so far
it wasn't yet done - but this will only help a bit.

There are two some key facts about the dispatching:
- repositories that see a lot of downloads are preferred
- projects that create a lot of load get punished
- packages that were touched in the last 24 hours are preferred

The number of downloads that are the base of the priorities, you can find
here: http://www.suse.de/~coolo/repo.list

You have to scroll a lot to find home:sipfoundry - which leads to the fact
that it doesn't get _any_ priority. It's just one of many home projects and
as such it gets build power only when everything else is finished (not exactly
that black & white, but towards that).

That windows:mingw:win32 gets _so_ much build power shouldn't happen either
(its openSUSE_Factory repo #1279 in the repo list, so it's ok if it's build
more often than random home projects not downloaded, but it should get a
"fair" share, which I guess is less than what it gets right now).

One additional thing we discussed was prefering projects that have recent
changes assuming that it's more likely that people look at it.

home:sipfoundry:4.4 is a good example:
The packaged changed have all built, but one scheduled package blocks the
others and the final pushing - frustrating the one wanting to test the change.
In this case, the scheduled one should get a little higher priority because
it's in a project together with recently changed packages. At least higher
than all these kernels and libqt4 packages that people linked into their home
projects a year ago ;(

BTW: the dispatching didn't change and the priorities have been this way for a
long time, but we see a lot more packages building now as we're more relaxed
in what packages we checkin into openSUSE:Factory, so a lot of repositories
building against openSUSE:Factory create a lot of build jobs - and if these
repositories are even downloaded, they get preferrence. This might be
something we have to decrease.

Greetings, Stephan