Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why don't we use debootstrap?
  • From: Justus Winter <winter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:04:52 +0100
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:00:08 +0100
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Freitag, 12. November 2010, 13:47:42 schrieb Justus Winter:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:26:16 +0100
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

debootstrap would be a full seperate path beside the build script.
That means all other features, like modifing release numbers, take
care about provided file lists (so that prjconf settings have an
effect at all) and so on would need to get implemented seperatly.

Also debootstrap is afaik no secure build mechanism (like build
with XEN or kvm). So we would not be able to allow service side
builds anymore.

debootstrap is no build mechanism at all, it merely installs a
debian system. Could you elaborate why the resulting installation
couldn't be used with XEN or kvm to provide a secure build
environment?

You need to run scripts (esp on debian) during installation. To do
this in a secure way the script needs to know how to pre install
(without scripts), jump into VM, run missing scripts and continue
with rest of packages.

The debian script is no help here as it was not designed for this.

I think it is (or has a feature that can be used). man debootstrap says:
--foreign
Do the initial unpack phase of bootstrapping only,
for example if the target architecture does not match
the host architecture. A copy of debootstrap suffi‐
cient for completing the bootstrap process will be
installed as /debootstrap/debootstrap in the target
filesystem. You can run it with the --second-stage
option to complete the bootstrapping process.

--second-stage
Complete the bootstrapping process. Other arguments
are generally not needed.
--
Justus Winter winter@xxxxxxxxxxxx

PRESENSE Technologies GmbH Sachsenstr. 5, D-20097 HH
USt-IdNr.: DE263765024
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors AG Hamburg, HRB 107844
Till Dörges Jürgen Sander Axel Theilmann

< Previous Next >