Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why don't we use debootstrap?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 18:00:08 +0100

debootstrap would be a full seperate path beside the build script.
That means all other features, like modifing release numbers, take
care about provided file lists (so that prjconf settings have an
effect at all) and so on would need to get implemented seperatly.

Also debootstrap is afaik no secure build mechanism (like build with
XEN or kvm). So we would not be able to allow service side builds
anymore.

debootstrap is no build mechanism at all, it merely installs a debian
system. Could you elaborate why the resulting installation couldn't be
used with XEN or kvm to provide a secure build environment?

You need to run scripts (esp on debian) during installation. To do this in
a secure way the script needs to know how to pre install (without scripts),
jump into VM, run missing scripts and continue with rest of packages.

The debian script is no help here as it was not designed for this.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH