Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Why don't we use debootstrap?
  • From: Justus Winter <winter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:47:42 +0100
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:26:16 +0100
Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Donnerstag, 11. November 2010, 00:06:42 schrieb Stephan Kleine:
Hi,

could anyone (Adrian) please enlighten me my we can't simply use
debootstrap to setup Debian & Ubuntu hosts and just be done with it?

check the mail archive, we just discussed that.

In short, it would be incompatible and unsafe, so we won't be able to
allow server side builds anymore.

In the rather short discussion about debootstrap you wrote:
Also, regarding our general approach for creating debian based
chroots: Why don't we simply use "debootstrap"? At least that is
what the Ubuntu people wondered and, after giving it a try, I'm
wondering too. It is a simple bash script (so the extracted debian
package "just works" or it could easily get repackaged into a rpm)
that takes the distro, architecture and wanted variant (minimal,
with build tools, ...) as arguments and then automatically sets up
a working chroot.

debootstrap would be a full seperate path beside the build script.
That means all other features, like modifing release numbers, take
care about provided file lists (so that prjconf settings have an
effect at all) and so on would need to get implemented seperatly.

Also debootstrap is afaik no secure build mechanism (like build with
XEN or kvm). So we would not be able to allow service side builds
anymore.

debootstrap is no build mechanism at all, it merely installs a debian
system. Could you elaborate why the resulting installation couldn't be
used with XEN or kvm to provide a secure build environment?

Thanks,
Justus
--
Justus Winter winter@xxxxxxxxxxxx

PRESENSE Technologies GmbH Sachsenstr. 5, D-20097 HH
USt-IdNr.: DE263765024
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors AG Hamburg, HRB 107844
Till Dörges Jürgen Sander Axel Theilmann