Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The disconnect
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 10:49:40 +0100
Lars Müller wrote:
I'm never going to work on a security update for exim. All I'm willing
to do is to keep the exim package in openSUSE on a current level. If
there is a security issue I would address it with the new version.

Which is perfectly ok for a package where upstream already is
careful to not break stuff. That doesn't work in general though.

With exim this is possible. It's not the default MTA of SUSE and
therefore the risk to break 80% of installed and working systems is much
lower.

The question is whether users of exim are aware that they rely on a
"second-tier" package. OTOH there is no guarantee that packages that
are in the default install are treated with more care either.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel