Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The disconnect
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 00:44:04 +0100
On Tuesday November 2 2010 21:37:56 Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 11/02/2010 04:24 PM, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
hi,

simple answer: you need to define a maintenance policy for contrib.

the current policy is the same as the distro. that means no version
updates just backports after contrib got frozen for a distro release.

if you leave it open for version update you have no real stable base for
people to work with.

I did not mean to imply that the policy for contrib should change. It
should be a stable/frozen repo as it is today.

For example, a developer at company X that writes perl code for their
application shouldn't have to add devel:languages:perl to get
perl-critic as the developer now uses a moving repo and one zypper up
could potentially cause major issues. (Just to stick to the example that
I already used).

if you keep the current policy many people wouldnt have the resources or
time to maintain all the packages with that policy. thats why many
people dont want their packages in the distro or contrib. (me included)

I am trying to find a way to make it easier for people to get their
packages into the "stable/frozen" world. I think this will encourage
contributions. Maybe we need another per package flag, "OK_FOR_CONTRIB"
lets the packager indicate this package can be auto collected.

That leaves out the main issue. The stuff in Contrib is version frozen and
therefore any security fixes need to be backported and the packages in there
need to be maintained.

Who will do that? If the original submitter is willing to do that he prolly
will already submit it to Contrib so I don't see how that will change besides
collecting more unmaintained packages in Contrib which isn't really what we
should want.