Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The disconnect
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 16:46:30 -0400
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Robert Schweikert
<rschweikert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/02/2010 04:24 PM, Marcus Rueckert wrote:

hi,

simple answer: you need to define a maintenance policy for contrib.

the current policy is the same as the distro. that means no version
updates just backports after contrib got frozen for a distro release.

if you leave it open for version update you have no real stable base for
people to work with.

I did not mean to imply that the policy for contrib should change. It
should be a stable/frozen repo as it is today.

For example, a developer at company X that writes perl code for their
application shouldn't have to add devel:languages:perl to get
perl-critic as the developer now uses a moving repo and one zypper up
could potentially cause major issues. (Just to stick to the example that
I already used).

if you keep the current policy many people wouldnt have the resources or
time to maintain all the packages with that policy. thats why many
people dont want their packages in the distro or contrib. (me included)

I am trying to find a way to make it easier for people to get their
packages into the "stable/frozen" world. I think this will encourage
contributions. Maybe we need another per package flag, "OK_FOR_CONTRIB"
lets the packager indicate this package can be auto collected.

Robert

I agree, for a lot of leaf packages there does not seem to be a reason
to not do a single SR that hits a devel repo and the main repo.

But, from what I can tell, contrib is already an artifact from days gone by!

So the flag should be "OK_FOR_FACTORY".

Greg