[opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu 10.10 and our general approach for debian based chroots
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:16:00 +0200
Hi,

I just looked at the 10.10 chroot and it doesn't start because procps can't
run "start procps" in its post install script because it can't connect to
Upstart (obviously).

The problem, and its apparent solution, is documented in their release notes
at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes - search for "Upstart
jobs cannot be run in a chroot." Basically one just has to symlink
/sbin/initctl to /bin/true but I have no idea how to inject custom commands
into the chroot setup so I leave that to you.

Also, regarding our general approach for creating debian based chroots: Why
don't we simply use "debootstrap"? At least that is what the Ubuntu people
wondered and, after giving it a try, I'm wondering too. It is a simple bash
script (so the extracted debian package "just works" or it could easily get
repackaged into a rpm) that takes the distro, architecture and wanted variant
(minimal, with build tools, ...) as arguments and then automatically sets up a
working chroot.

So, how about we change the approach for debian based systems and simply use
their debootstrap to create the initial chroot and then just install the
dependencies of the to be build package afterwards? Besides being very easy to
use and actually working (e.g. it already contains a fix / workaround for the
change that is screwing us over with upstart on 10.10) it would also remove
the "joy" to debug the stuff every few months when a new debian based thingy
gets imported?

Thoughts?

regards,
Stephan