Re: [opensuse-buildservice] (hopefully) short downtime for OBS
  • From: David Greaves <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:05:16 +0100
On 10/10/10 13:15, Ruediger Oertel wrote:
Hi,

in order to do the final switch of the underlying storage for the backend server
(an increase from 4.8T to 8T storage) there will be a (hopefully) short downtime
for the OBS.

At the moment, the server will still react, but the schedulers, dispatcher and
publisher are
off and a sync is running (the sync before had just completed, so the delta
should already
be quite small).

If this run is done, OBS will go down in maintenance mode, repserver will be
shutdown and
the webservice will give out a downtime message and the old storate will be
remounted readonly
for one final and hopefully quick sync before we switch to the new filesystem.

I will report back when everything is complete.

Hi Reudiger

This sounds interesting.... would you be able to describe the steps in a little more detail? Eg which services are shut down and in what order; which parts of the storage they touch? I'm sure that many of us operating our own instances would be keen to understand how you approach it.

Thanks

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."