Re: [opensuse-buildservice] some thoughts on streamlining obs
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:36:21 +0200
On 09/08/2010 at 4:26 PM, <doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- I presume one of these is set up/removed for each of the packages in a
users project when time comes to compile the package.
- If that is done on-disk that would use alot of elapsed I/O time. That
would add up over time for the many thousands of packages built.

If that is the case, could a buildroot location be set in ram-memory and a
symbolic link setup be done to connect the users package and the memory
location.
The package built on faster ram instead of using slower disk if disk is
used. Quicker to setup and cleanup the start and end of each process.

The reason I asked was would it help the through-put turnaround time of
jobs submitted.
Just my 20cents worth
Cheers Glenn

I do use that on my own host for local builds, mainly with a tmpfs pointing to
/var/tmp/build-root.

Out of curiosity I thought I could time this here...

so: without tmpfs (physical IO):

time osc build
real 0m52.067s
user 0m31.046s
sys 0m4.868s

With tmpfs (4GB.. so if it ever requires more, bad luck):
time osc build
real 0m24.708s
user 0m15.237s
sys 0m2.448s

Certainly not the most interesting package to win time, but yes, generally it
saved me 50% of time in this case.

Dominique