Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Home Project vs. SubProject
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:39:38 +0200
Am Mittwoch 25 August 2010 schrieb Srivats P:
Hi,

I just started using the OBS to package Ostinato
(http://code.google.com/p/ostinato) for several distros - this is a
fantastic service!

I'm however not sure if I should build packages in the "home" project
or create a subproject and build packages within the subproject. From
all I've read/seen till now they seem to be equivalent in all
respects. Is there a recommended practice or convention?
Not really. Creating a subproject seems clearer to me - at some point you
might want to build some other packages as well and they might get in the way.

Also as I release new versions of Ostinato, I would like to retain the
packages of older versions while releasing new versions - note I don't
mean different RPM releases for the same program version but different
program versions. How do I achieve this (creating a new
subproject/package for every new program version seems wasteful).

That highly depends on how often you release :)

The easiest way is to copy the rpms away and store them in some other binary
hosting service - not sure if google.com offers that, but many projects upload
e.g. to sourceforge.net

Greetings, Stephan