Re: [opensuse-buildservice] comps.xml
  • From: Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:08:23 -0400
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 01:36, Iain Arnell <iarnell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 23:48, Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 23:47, Iain Arnell <iarnell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Robert Xu <robxu9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:52, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:33:02PM -0400, Robert Xu wrote:
Fedora's style of patterns with the yum metadata is by adding another
file, comps.xml.
What if it was possible to make a patterns file, and have OBS convert
it into comps.xml and include it?
Example of a comps.xml file:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/13/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/154774805dafaffd6e9b62467f282a3097aa4898864589784e9eee94608790be-comps-f13.xml

This could provide compatibility under other clients like yum.

(Someone should make a how-to for creating a patterns file in the
wiki... I'll look into it, maybe?)

This is actually already implemented, thanks to a patch from
Iain Arnell. You just have to tell the system to create a
comps file by adding "Patterntype: comps" to your project
config.
(It actually writes a "group.xml" file, I hope that this is
correct.)

Oh, didn't know that :) btw, i think it's comps.xml. I'll test out the
functionality in a bit. Thanks!

The filename itself shouldn't matter - what's important is that the
file is referenced in repomd.xml with <data type="group">.

And I used group.xml rather than comps.xml because modifyrepo assumes
that the name of the file being injected into repomd.xml can be used
to determine the data "type".

Ok. Thanks for this great functionality :)

I'm guessing that it get the patterns from a package, like
patterns-openSUSE in openSUSE:Factory?

Sorry, i meant like in openSUSE:11.3

No - it reads the regular buildservice pattern metadata (osc meta -e
pattern <project> <pattern>) and simply converts to comps format when
publishing the repo. A single project can generate suse-style
patterns.xml and ymp files for suse repos and redhat-style groups.xml
for redhat/fedora repos using the same metadata.

Thanks for the info!

So I tried it, and afterwards I inspected the comps file, only to find
it blank. Any help?

--
Iain.

later, Robert Xu