Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:26:06 +0200
On Tuesday 13 July 2010 10:28:33 Peter Czanik wrote:
Hello,

On Sunday 04 July 2010 05:33:19 Stephan Kleine wrote:

On Friday July 2 2010 16:05:31 Jan-Simon Möller wrote:

I reactivated:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/monitor?project=Ports%3AARM%3ABase%3Ab
ui ld

We might need to adapt the prjconf - let see.

Best,
Jan-Simon

Apparently we need someone to fix the glibc build for ARM. I'm sorry, but
while I would be happy to fix some stuff, this is way above my level.

Please be so kind to poke someone with the necessary knowledge so we get a
working bootstrap to work on from there (if you know said someone).

regards,
Stephan

Thats nothing about glibc but just a packaging/file/transition bug.

I disabled useforbuild now in Ports:ARM:Base:build. When done, we to remove
the aggregate and copy the new build results over. Thats for Adrian then
with
his super-admin powers ;).

I'm back and trying to summary the past weeks evens and posts:
- dl9pf already started to update the base system and compilers and
could mentor the project
- some people questioned the current compilation method -- as it works
for MeeGo and Linaro, I think it should also work for us :-)
- we need a distro manager -- if it really does not need C knowledge, as
dl9pf says, then I can probably take it (I'm just in the middle of many
changes, but most likely I'll have some time).
- we need developers -- some people already volunteered here and also on
openfate ( https://features.opensuse.org/310070 )
- we need hardware to test on -- I have two different ARM hw (EFIKA MX &
Sheeva) and others have Beagle Board.

My questions are:
- what is the status of the base system?
- and the most important one: is this group big enough to make openSUSE
ARM happen?

From my experiences I can say, one really addicted person can do such a port.
(As seen with former ARM and SPARC port, HPPA and Mips. And sparc is currently
also approached by
one person only).

Just start on digging in the code, find out what is not working and try to get
it working.

In case you have built a binary rpm stack locally, which needs a manual binary
import,
just drop me a note.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH