Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:53:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday 2010-07-01 02:09, Martin Mohring wrote:

The issue that was raised is that ARM would need cross compilation
which takes too much time (read as in would bind the limited OBS
resources for too long) when building Factory for ARM. How do you
(the MeeGo people) handle this? E.g. do you merely cross compile
too or did you figure out some fancy tricks to speed up
compilation for ARM on x86?

(reformat by me)
* Cross build with cross real cross compilation is about 60-95% of the
native compile performance of i586.
* The openSUSE 11.2 port used this. So need to wait for QEMU emulators
running compilers.
* But to get openSUSE really working on ARM substantially, lots
of not building or working packages need to be fixed. And that is
*REAL WORK*.
* And because of dependencies, lots of packages will never build until
some depending packages do work. Just to name one: Java.
* This is a fultime job for many months. JSM and me needed 5+ months
[10 manmonths]
on openSUSE 11.2 to fix the basics, e.g. 500+ packages. To get the
complete distro working, you can estimate up.
* That was also the reason I think why for example arches like
PowerPC were dropped from list of released versions for openSUSE.
Numbers[...]

I don't know about ARM complexity, but PPC is in the same CPU class as
SPARC (big-endianness and alignment sensitivity is what broken code
usually stumbles and falls upon) and fixing the basics (read: shell-in
server, with the complete OBS stack) and building most of the rest
(3/4ths) was just 4 manmonths.