Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Can we please get ARM builds for 11.3+1?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 07:09:55 +0200
On Thursday 01 July 2010 01:57:54 Stephan Kleine wrote:
On Wednesday June 30 2010 21:34:05 Adrian Schröter wrote:
On Wednesday 30 June 2010 19:02:25 Martin Mohring wrote:
Hi,

I am one of the MeeGo guys you mentioned. Jan-Simon and me did the cross
compile solution for ARM already with openSUSE 11.2.

So it was exactly vice versa: we implemented cross build first for
openSUSE 11.2 and then to MeeGo.

What we need to reenable it is someone needs to bring it back to work on
openSUSE. That means: changing packages.

Jan-Simon had done before 11.2 a lot of work so that ca. 1000 of the
Factory packages build and a base system for ARM boots.

But in the end, it was the amount of work to get a real, working, tested
ARM version why it was never finished.

Everybody who is interested to get openSUSE on Arm can start to get the
Base project building form ARM.

If we have this fixed and merged the fixes to Factory, we can enable Arm
there and handle possible load problems via dispatcher priorizations.

IIRC there was some talk about Novell (prolly SLE based) announcing some ARM
builds (MeeGo based iirc). Is there any chance we could incorporate those
since we already are the base for SLE without canibalizing whatever N wants
earn money with it in that field?

I am not aware of that.

Point just being, openSUSE is somehow the playground for SLE but it certainly
would be nice if it would work the other way too - that is by Novell peeps
contributing their fixes to get SLE build on ARM to openSUSE since this would
make it much easier to get started.

Yes, but as said before, I am not aware of any SLE Arm project.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH