Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Project classifications
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:27:02 -0400
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Tejas Guruswamy
<masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 26/04/10 15:13, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

"INTERNAL" or "PRIVATE" is fine, but I would stick home:* projects to
this state without any option to override this. It would encourage
contributions to devel projects and using home:* project as install repo
is not good anyway.

Are all projects really supposed to pushed out of home projects once
they're stable.

For instance:

I have a OBS home project for open2300.  It has very few users and I
would not be shocked to find out no one but me has downloaded it, but
to my knowledge it is the only place to download a installable
package, instead of source.

(ie. The home page for the project used to only reference the source.
Its a wiki, so I built the package via OBS in my home directory and
edited the wiki page to refer to it.)

Is something with that small an audience really supposed to be pushed
into a more formal repo?  If so, which one in my case?

fyi: open2300 is a program for reading the data records of a LaCrosse
Weather Station via rs-232 port.

Greg

I don't think this proposal is about stopping people from distributing
packages via home projects altogether. Instead it is about ensuring
users do not unintentionally stumble on a home project via search.oo or
similar.

This will make it safer to say "just go search for it on search.oo",
which right now it is not, because there are development and broken
versions visible, and a malicious packager can easily trick the
unsuspecting into using bad packages by recreating popular packages in
their home project.

If you are linking to the home project on external wikis etc. this will
do nothing to change that AFAIK.

Regards,
Tejas

My real goal is long term persistent link to package that does not
require login.

== details

I don't know about now or the future, but in the past you could not
link to project from outside because it required login.

The choices were to link to a specific package/repo or link to the
search page with the package filled in.

If that hasn't changed it will be a problem The specific package/repo
gets stale after every release and 2 years later points to a dead
link. That may seem like a long time, but I discovered it after
following other peoples dead links into obs 2 years ago. Who knows
how many of them there are now.

The link to a search result seems to work fine currently and it
refreshes itself as new repos (11.3) are added.

But, it I understand this proposal it will not find anything assuming
it is accepted.

Greg