Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Project classifications
  • From: Stefan Dirsch <sndirsch@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:30:35 +0200
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:32:53AM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Freitag, 23. April 2010 11:12:20 schrieb Stefan Dirsch:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 10:53:16AM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Hi,

the openSUSE booster teams has started to improve the

http://software.opensuse.org/search

interface. One important thing is to improve the search
results. It is important from our POV that the project
owner can classify the purpose of his project.

This is currently suggested in this fate request :

https://features.opensuse.org/306232

as

STABLE -- project is considered to be ready to use for End-Users
TESTING -- project should work from point of developer view, but needs
verification
DEVELOPMENT -- project is random state, it might work.
BROKEN -- project is known to be not working atm.

The default value would be "DEVELOPMENT", which is also used
when someone creates a new branch of a package by default.

by default the software search would just show "STABLE"
projects in their results. If no result can be found, the search
will offer to search also for the unstable versions.

Project owners can set this state in their project at any time.

I would like to hear some feedback about the suggested states. Are
they understandable and do they make sense ?

Sounds reasonable to me and I like the idea. I'm just wondering how to
handle
home:<login> projects. They might "win" against an official devel project in
state DEVELOPMENT since they have been classified as STABLE at some point,
but
are meanwhile in a complete broken state ...

Yes, but a handle for complete unmaintained projects need to be supported
differently.
This mechanism only gives the active developers a chance to flag their
projects.

Ok. I didn't know that home projects were intended to be handled differently
anyway.

Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0 Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479 D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de Germany