Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Project classifications
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:53:38 +0200
On Friday 23 of April 2010, Adrian Schröter wrote:
This is currently suggested in this fate request :

https://features.opensuse.org/306232

as

STABLE -- project is considered to be ready to use for End-Users
TESTING -- project should work from point of developer view, but needs
verification
DEVELOPMENT -- project is random state, it might work.
BROKEN -- project is known to be not working atm.

I find it rather hard to see the difference between two adjacent states. I'm
not even sure what states I would use e.g. for the KDE: repos
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories).

Is KDE:KDE4:STABLE:Desktop STABLE or TESTING here, when from developers'
point of view it's stable and fixes keep getting added, but we don't really
test it that much as such and expect users to find possible problems?

Is KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop TESTING or DEVELOPMENT? We develop for next
openSUSE there, but it's usually stable enough to be normally used. Or should
we switch the state all the time depending on the situation, which nobody
will bother to keep doing anyway?

And I fail to see the point of BROKEN. Why would anybody intentionally have a
broken repo?

What are the expected workflows with these states? The first 3 could match
the 3 KDE STABLE/Factory/UNSTABLE repos, but the descriptions don't seem to
fit.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer