Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Developement and Production
  • From: Thomas Schmidt <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 02:44:12 +0200
On 04/08/2010 09:29 PM, Andrew Heagle wrote:
Hi,

I just recently got the build service working in our environment. I had
configured it to use a "production" environment.

Now that we have started to use it, it became clear that we would need a
"development" environment as well.

I tried following the same steps for "development" as I did for "production",
on the same host, but it doesn't seem to quite work. When I go to
development,
I see all the production stuff. I am guessing that is because the file paths
are
the same.

So, my question is, is it recommended to have a different server for
production
and development, or can they reside on the same server? If they can reside on
the same server, how do you configure this?

The concept of environments is from rails, see an article here:
http://glu.ttono.us/articles/2006/05/22/guide-environments-in-rails-1-1

So you can configure a second api and webclient instance on the same host
running on different ports. For the backend you would have to setup a
second instance that uses different paths and ports. I would recommend to use a
seperate
system for your development environment.

Also, when you have an environment for development and production, how do you
promote from dev to prod? Would someone just checkout the project from dev,
and then check it into prod? or is there some other way to promote it?

Not sure what you want to achieve. Do you want to develop the obs code or
to build packages on the development instance and then move them to your
production env?

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)