[opensuse-buildservice] Upcomming OBS 1.8 release (aka MeeGo release)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:11:57 +0200

Hello,

you might have already noticed the created 1.8 branch in git. The reason behind
this "sudden" planned 1.8 release before 2.0 in summer is a request by the
MeeGo group.

The MeeGo group (LinuxFoundation, Intel and Nokia) are about to use their
own instances of OBS for creating their releases.

They want also to extend OBS with new features, current most needed feature
is the group handling and read permission control. Since they have a
tight timeline, we agreed to roll a 1.8 release end of next month
based on their contributions.

This is reflected in the roadmap here:
http://wiki.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_Roadmap#Upcoming_Releases

The backend code part from master may also get backported entirely to 1.8,
but api and webui stay based on 1.7 branch plus some hand picked backports.

It is great to see more parties using and contributing to OBS.
You are highly welcome !

Please speak up if someone wants to add a certain feature to the 1.8 release,
but from the SUSE side we want to concentrate on our 2.0 release and make
the other features in "master" branch complete and solid. So we want to avoid
to backport too much to the 1.8 release.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH