[opensuse-buildservice] Announce: XML schema validation
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:59:39 +0100
Hi,

I just deployed api.opensuse.org with a long overdue change: XML data
is now validated as you post it. The XML was checked for being
XML, but it was never checked against the schema - even though
there was code supposed to do exactly that, it was just never
tested ;(

Now e.g. if you try to add '<person role="boss"/>' into your
pkg meta you used to get this:

BuildService API error: unknown (400)
uncaught exception: undefined method `userid' for
#&lt;ActiveXML::LibXMLNode:0x7f4204dd7730&gt;

(the code simply assumed you knew what you did when
you posted XML and got an exception when it tried to
access userid).

Now you'll get:
BuildService API error: unknown (400)
validation failed, output:
/tmp/opensuse_frontend_validator20100302-27305-1m2aaud-0:23: element person:
Schemas validity error : Element 'person': The attribute 'userid' is required
but missing.
/tmp/opensuse_frontend_validator20100302-27305-1m2aaud-0 fails to validate

Problem is only: this change is only as good as the schemas we have
and as they are basically just documentation since quite a while there
is a good chance tools will break as they are not generating XML as
allowed by the schema - that might still be correct.

So in the upcoming days we have to verify our tools and schemas. Hope
it won't be too heavy.

Greetings, Stephan