Re: [opensuse-buildservice] replying to messages in this mailinglist
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:25:33 +0100
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:01:15AM +0100, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:03, aapgorilla <godutchnow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi I am a member of several mailinglists and for the other lists I am
a member of whenever I reply to a message it gets send to the
mailinglist, however whenever I reply to message from this list the
message gets send to the author of the message only.

On this list you must hit reply-all. The person that sent the message
you are responding to will get the message twice, but it is the only
easy way to do it because the list owners refuse to fix this problem.

Well, your mail client is not suitable for professional use then.
Good ones have a list reply function and even better ones set and
honor Mail-Followup-To¹.

[1] http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html

Please see also

http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_munging

and learn to use your MUA. Some of them come with a manual. Some even
offer man pages. ;)

Looks like we must create a dedicated wiki page at
http://en.openSUSE.org/ for this topic as it is coming back again and
again.

Next we should add a (well hidden) header to each mail pointing people
to this article. :)

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]