Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Making kernel modules for specific kernel versions
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:01:27 +0100
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 10:48 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 10:14:23AM +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I have been looking through
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/9226/using-opensuse-build-service-create-and-distribute-kernel-module-packages
to see how to make kernel drivers in OBS. I have one question: can I
specify the specific kernel version to be used? For example, openSUSE
11.2 came out with some release of the kernel, and there have since been
updates. I would like to make the kernel driver for the original kernel
that was delivered with openSUSE. How would I specify that?

As Adrian said, you can build either against openSUSE:11.2 (shipping kernel)
or openSUSE:11.2:Update (current update kernel).

Is there a better way to do this? Is it possible to make a kernel driver
that would load into any release of the kernel for an openSUSE release?
For example, if I compile the driver for the -desktop kernel, can I do
so in such a way that it can be installed on all -desktop kernels for
that openSUSE release?

Yes, you just build a KMP...

... KMPs can be used for multiple kernels (the built against one
and laters), if the kabi for those stays stable.
While we do not guarantee that for openSUSE, we try to keep it that way.

A KMP built against the 11.2 GA kernel will for instance still work with
the current update kernel.

Ciao, Marcus

I am a real newbie with OBS. I have one simple package. So bear with my
simple questions...

If I make a kernel driver package, can I trigger it getting rebuilt
automatically when a kernel update is released? Without me having to
trigger anything by hand? It is not a matter of laziness so much as
wanting to be sure there is a version of the driver for each openSUSE
kernel and update. Section 4.6 in the link I referenced implies that
this is possible. Would it happen automatically if I build against
openSUSE:11.2:Update and a kernel update is released?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB