[opensuse-buildservice] building cross distribution packages
  • From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 22:33:05 +0100
Hi,

I'm packaging my own programs using openSUSE build service, until now for
openSUSE only, but I'm trying also packaging for other distributions. I've
created a subproject at 'home:plcl:test', with only one KDE4 package
(kmetronome) and repositories for openSUSE, xUbuntu, Fedora and Mandriva.

I've started reading some documentation, at:
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to
And a pointer provided by Will Stephenson:
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3994
Looking to the projects packaged by Lubos Lunak, like ksshaskpass and wmiface
it seemed to me an easy task, but I was wrong...

First, this error in Fedora (10, 11 and 12) packages:
CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
The only way to fix it was to add "BuildRequires: gcc-c++". But, this doesn't
match the Fedora documentation:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Exceptions_2
"There is no need to include the following packages or their dependencies as
BuildRequires because they would occur too often." And the C++ compiler is
among those common packages. Why I need to include it in OBS?

Second, for Mandriva there is a failure installing some dependencies.
error: Failed build dependencies:
kde4-macros is needed by kmetronome-0.9.1-28.1.x86_64
kdelibs4-devel is needed by kmetronome-0.9.1-28.1.x86_64
dbus-devel is needed by kmetronome-0.9.1-28.1.x86_64
alsa-lib-devel is needed by kmetronome-0.9.1-28.1.x86_64

I've tried to follow the directions in this document:
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Development/Tasks/Packaging/Policies/Kde4
But something is wrong, and I am unable to see what and where.

Any clues?

Regards,
Pedro