Re: [opensuse-buildservice] How can I publish MS Windows installer MSI packages?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:33:33 +0100
Am Freitag, 18. Dezember 2009 14:58:17 schrieb Hib Eris:
Hi,

I am using the openSUSE build service to build a MS Windows installer
package for the Evince Document Viewer (evince.msi) on the openSUSE
build service, running the build commands from a .spec file.

I have got this working quite well, but now, my problem is, where to
put the resulting evince.msi file. Normally, the resulting binaries of
a .spec file are put into rpm packages that are then published by the
build service.

Of course, I can put the evince.msi file into a rpm package as well
and let the rpm package be published by the build service. But because
MS Windows(-users) cannot handle rpm packages, this is not very
usefull. I would like to publish msi files, not rpm files with msi
files in it.

Is this possible and/or can the build service be adopted to publish
*.msi files resulting from a .spec file build?

Do you do this with your own build service instance ?

You can of course extend bs_publish to extract a package. Dunno how to detect
if a package shall be extracted or not.

It would be IMHO of course way better, if OBS would understand .msi as own
packaging format like it does with .rpm or .deb. In that way you could reuse
the .msi for building further packages.

And all that not only on linux with cross compile, but on a windows OS system
which would allow also to use native compilers.

All this is possible to implement, it is just some work.

what do you think about that ?

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH