Re: [opensuse-buildservice] The move to git: what changes for you
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:53:52 +0100

Just to follow up on this. All existing contributors, who send me already
their gitorious account name have now push rights to our repositories.

The setup of the server is now a bit different. I started to document this
here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Run_from_git

However, this page is not finished. Since I have no time to continue on that
one today (and most likely next days), it would be great if someone, who set
up a server before could continue on that pages.

One thing what I want to stress here is that we should think about where we
develop something, since the git concept is different.
Even when I have push rights, I might clone something into my private
repository to be able to push intermediate submissions there. So I can even
clean up my history late (if needed) before I push something to our main
repository.

As a result, we do not want to see experimental or private branches in our
main repositories as before with svn. Please use your own repository on
gitorious for this.

Also, you might not push something directly (even if you have the rights), but
create a merge request. This is similar to the submit request concept of the
OBS, someone else will review it and accept/decline it.

It is obvious that everybody who has not yet worked with git will run into
some trouble somewhere. So please be not shy and ask for support here or on
IRC.

I hope all these changes will turn out to be valuable for us in some month.

have a lot of fun :)
adrian

PS: What we did was manually modifing the svn dump with a large number of
filter rules, changing with regular expression and additional hand written
commits in the history. It might be that we messed something up, but
everything looked good to us so far.
Nevertheless, please speak up, if you think you see some inconsistency.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH