[opensuse-buildservice] The move to git: what we did yesterday
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:26:55 +0100
Hi,

I don't want you to bore with 2 pages long emails, so I try to group
the topics a bit. So first the "what we did yesterday":

Adrian and me sit together for roughly 9 hours without big breaks
and "ported" some bigger parts of opensuse svn to git. There is still
a lot left in SVN, we plan to migrate them as the need arises.

On http://www.gitorious.org/opensuse you can see now 9 repos that
weren't there yesterday. Namely

build: what was in buildservice/src/build
build-service: frontend, webclient and backend together (more to this later)
hermes: what was in infrastructure/hermes
openfate: what was in infrastructure/openfate
osc: what was in buildservice/src/clientlib/python/osc
shared-resources: 4 "common" directories grouped
sign: what was in buildservice/src/sign
software-o-o: what was in buildservice/src/software
yabsc: what was in buildservice/src/yabsc

For the build-service we took the opportunity to rename webclient to webui
(as it's not really a client, it's a server that talks to other servers)
and frontend to api (as this is what people refer it to). We did this rename
in the history, so the first commit to them are already named webui. This
is to make it easier to track history without larger renames.

We only imported release branches with one exception: branches/jw ended
up in osc as it's the only active (as in the last month) branch. On how
to handle branches, I'll write a separate mail.

The "shared-resources" are basically things we linked into checkouts using
svn:externals before. Now we have one extra module for that that we link
into a toplevel directory on git repos and add symlinks into it. This is
not as convenient as svn:externals but more clear. We will hopefully collect
some experience with it and eventually change it, but for now it seems the
best approach.

I already deployed webui from the new git repository on
build.opensuse.org/stage and it looks fine.

Greetings, Stephan