Re: [opensuse-buildservice] distribution building (was: osbs vs launchpad)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:34:46 +0100
Am Sonntag, 29. November 2009 23:48:58 schrieb schoappied:
Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Sonntag, 29. November 2009 17:36:52 schrieb schoappied:
Adrian Schröter wrote:
allows entire distribution and product building support,

Entire distribution support? Can you tell a bit more about this?

Have a look at the openSUSE:11.2 and openSUSE:Factory projects, they are
used to build our distribution. Esp in the "_product" package.

A bit more documentation about that is here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/Product_Definition

So you use the buildservice the same as with packaging? e.g. you build
the distribution image on the buildservice (not on your local pc)?

As with rpm building, you can do it on server or local workstation. but the
official ones are built on the server of course (also to get the correct
signing).

It's also possible to build Ubuntu images? Live, alternate, with installer?

So far kiwi (which is used) is not supporting this.

And is it possible to add/edit configuration files to the distro (for
example sources.list, /etc/apt/preferences , /limits.conf etc.)?

Well, it seems you speak about appliances here, not products. appliances are
also supported via kiwi (like openSUSe Live CDs or our obs-work-images), but
something different than products.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH