Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osbs vs launchpad (was: Ubuntu backports)
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:14:33 +0100
Am Sonntag, 29. November 2009 00:10:40 schrieb schoappied:
Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 26. November 2009 18:13:35 schrieb schoappied:
I tried to build it this way:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service_Tutorial

But the build says:

nothing provides libjack-dev

Itś a build for ubuntu hardy, and libjack-dev is in ubuntu hardy...

Yes, but in "universe" repository, which we do not import due to legal
implications of the content.

libjack is most likely not legal problematic (but I have not checked), so
you may import the debian sources of libjack into a package of your
project to solve this problem.

Mmh ok. So no universe...
Do you know if this is also the case in launchpad (ppa)?

I don't know, but since they ignore these implications anyway, I would expect
it there.

Btw what are the differences between launchpad (you build ubuntu
packages with) and opensuse-buildservice? What are the (dis)advantages
of both?

Well, you ask someone who has a pretty clear opinion about that, but is of
course not neutral ;) I would compare one of them as tool and one as toy ...

(OBS supports not only ubuntu, but also non-deb stuff like rpm and kiwi. It
also allows developer to reuse work of others, allows entire distribution and
product building support, supports more sophisticated stuff like reproducable
builds server and client side build support, has collaboration features, adds
automatically building (important for QA and clean builds) and I could
continue for a while here ;)

SUSE Linux Products GmbH