Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Want to package tuxtype with setgid bit for shared data files
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:53:20 +0100
[not quite the right list, anyways...]

David Bruce wrote:
Both games have a use for modifiable files that are shared by all
users - a high score table in tuxmath, and custom word list files in
tuxtype.

I have been told by a knowledgable person that the shared variable
data should go in /var/games/tuxtype and that this directory should be
created setgid and belong to the games group (i.e. "%attr(2755, root,
games)"). This would allow users who belong to the "games" group to
modify these data. Other users would only be able to read the data.

Users are not supposed to be in the games group. It's only used by setgid
binaries. However, we would like to get rid of them as well. And now that you
remind me I should probably start breaking Factory┬╣ :-)

However, tuxtype has an in-game word list editor to support the
creation of custom word lists so teachers don't have to edit text
files with a separate editor. I don't see how I can "drop" setgid on
program setup and still be able to let users save new word list files
in the shared location.

What's the proper unix way to set this up without creating security problems?

Allowing users full access to files inevitably leads to security issues if you
are not prepared for corrupted files. Therefore the better way would be to have
a system daemon that runs as dedicated user to manage the shared files. The
daemon could be controlled via an interface that allows to e.g. add, remove or
query records. Doing that via daemon also solves locking problems you get if
you have concurrent access. The technique in vogue today for such local daemons
is DBus and PolicyKit.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Games/Fixes

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel