Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Fedora 12 is deployed
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:10:40 +0100
Am Montag, 23. November 2009 23:01:20 schrieb Alexey Eremenko:
What I forgot to mention here. When you do a "osc build" on your
workstation, you need either a Fedora 12 or openSUSE 11.2 operating
system. Or you need the latest build package from openSUSE:Tools project,
which support "xz" compressed rpms also on older systems.

a bit offtopic question, but really interesting one..

Why "XZ" payload RPMs are better than older LZMA RPMs used in openSUSE 11.x
?

It is not, at least not compression wise. It is almost the same, but it has an
incompatible format.

openSUSE 11.2 is supporting XZ packages in rpm btw, we just kept the lzma
format in the rpms we generated. Simply to avoid incompatibilities and there
would be no win on size or needed cpu time.

I found this, but no good explanation:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XZRpmPayloads

SUSE Linux Products GmbH