Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Local build of package
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:05:28 +0100
Am Dienstag, 10. November 2009 10:32:44 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
Why do we need two tools? Here're some questions and comments that come to
my mind:

There no two tools. "build" is used for doing the actual building, can work
standalone.

"osc build" is doing all necessary interactions with the server (let him
calculate dependencies and downloads needed packages) and calls the usual
build script afterwards.

no code overlap, just cleanly modularised.

* osc has already a local build option.
* build and osc build both setup a local chroot
* for documentation it's easier to describe only one tool and not two.
* Do both share the same libraries and routines? Or do we reinvent the
wheel everytime?
* build uses the local media - why can't osc do the same
* osc calculates the build dependencies on the server, build on the local
machine. Why can't an osc local build do it on the local machine?

Because all packages from projects (or their meta data + project configs)
would be needed on local workstation.

seriously, this is a non-topic, we have a clean seperation and no code
overlap. If someone is unhappy with the offline functionality, please enhance
the build script.

But so far no single reason was raised here what build isn't able to do when
doing offline building.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH