Re: [opensuse-buildservice] support for http range requests
  • From: Jon Nelson <jnelson-suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:45:06 -0500
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 09:39:10AM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
bytes. Using the range header instead of several parameters is, IMO, a
more elegant solution and puts the request at the proper layer. I'd
rather see Range headers used than yet-another
range-like-thing-that-isn't-ranges. In this case, I see it as a
correction. ;-)

Yes, but I was talking about a user's point of view. I don't want
bytes, I want lines.

Oh, so do I! However, I see that as a layering issue and the
bytes-to-lines should be take care of by the client (osc,
your-favorite-gui, etc....). The way I see it, this change fixes what
I see as a layering violation, makes better use of http and doesn't
change the fundamental semantics of the existing software (which uses
bytes already....)

--
Jon