Re: [opensuse-buildservice] technical reorganisation svn->git and administrator mailing lists ?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 13:16:25 +0200
On 2009-10-12 12:05:28 +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
As a side effect, this would be a switch from subversion to git. git is
more feature rich, but less obvious to use.
Also the account at gitorious will not be the same as in the rest in
the infrastructure. So it will be a bit harder to verify if user X at
gitorious is really user Y in bugzilla/OBS/....

Are there concerns in doing this ?

i would rather maintain our own svn instead of switching to git. but
that might be just me.

If you want an improvement, break up the source in
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/. OBS, the server, and
osc, and other clients are all under the same 'trunk', but are released
on different schedules. It would make more sense to move the 'trunk'
under each individual rpm's source. That could also eliminate the
packaging of osc, which is under

I think that splitting the repository into smaller parts is a
prerequisite to switching to git (I wouldn't want to clone all of
backend, frontend, webclient, qt client and whatnot to just hack on
osc), so a repository reorg is IMO needed anyway, whether are the
developers going to switch to git or to keep their own svn.

yes, we will do so during the move.

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH