[opensuse-buildservice] Noarch Mono packages (was Re: AdrianS , Could you please...)
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:00:59 +0200
On Wednesday 30 of September 2009 13:32:34 Michal Marek wrote:
Michal Vyskocil napsal(a):
On Wednesday 30 of September 2009 12:39:15 Michal Marek wrote:
Petit Eric napsal(a):
I forget to ask about RpmSpecManager and SyntaxHighlighting too :-)
which are MonoOSC dependency's

Is there a reason why the packages aren't noarch?

Michal

Yes, the reason is the AOT - Ahead Of Time - compile. Explanation from
Mono Packaging Guidelines [1]

"""
The main reason for this is that mono can ahead-of-time compile its
assemblies into ELF shared objects. These AOTs have to exist in the same
directory as their DLL/EXE counterparts otherwise mono cannot use them.
Even if we, as packagers, choose not to create the AOT files when we
build the mono rpms, the system administrator can choose to create them
after install. Since there's no way to place the mono assemblies into an
arch independent directory and the AOTs into arch dependent directories,
the whole thing has to go into an arch dependent tree.
"""

We have noarch mono packages in Factory. Are these broken then?

Technically not unless they don't use AOT compilation - afaik it is not
necessary (but I don't know a much about mono things). But on the other side
they don't conform the current policy (even if the guidelines are not
completed and are just semi-official, we don't have anything better for Mono
packages).

Michal Vyskocil
< Previous Next >