Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: AdrianS , Could you please, set the ppc filter for MonoOSC in openSUSE:Factory:Contrib?
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:08:35 +0200
On Wednesday 30 of September 2009 12:39:15 Michal Marek wrote:
Petit Eric napsal(a):
I forget to ask about RpmSpecManager and SyntaxHighlighting too :-)
which are MonoOSC dependency's

Is there a reason why the packages aren't noarch?

Michal

Yes, the reason is the AOT - Ahead Of Time - compile. Explanation from Mono
Packaging Guidelines [1]

"""
The main reason for this is that mono can ahead-of-time compile its assemblies
into ELF shared objects. These AOTs have to exist in the same directory as
their DLL/EXE counterparts otherwise mono cannot use them. Even if we, as
packagers, choose not to create the AOT files when we build the mono rpms, the
system administrator can choose to create them after install. Since there's no
way to place the mono assemblies into an arch independent directory and the
AOTs into arch dependent directories, the whole thing has to go into an arch
dependent tree.
"""

It's the similar as packages compiled with gcj's aot compiler are arch
dependent, even if they're written in Java, just SUSE did not use it for Java.

BTW: in times of rpm-4.7 it should be possible to improve mono to be able read
noarch files from different location that AOT ones.

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Mono

Regards
Michal Vyskocil