Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Mixing package versions ?
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:13:57 +0200
Am Freitag, 18. September 2009 19:06:08 schrieb Vincent Petry:
Hi,

I have built a package for lifeograph version 0.4.1 in my home
project (home:PVince81).
The most recent version of this software, which is 0.5.4, only
builds in openSUSE factory because it requires a higher version of
gtkmm.
For the other openSUSE versions like 11.1, only the version 0.4.1
can compile.

My question here is whether it is allowed, by convention, to mix
such package versions ? It means I would have to modify the spec
file to detect which openSUSE version we're building against, and
switch the version field accordingly. It also means that both
versions of the sources of lifeograph will be present in the OBS
package and would also be packed together into the same SRC RPM. Is
that correct ?

This is possible, however I think it makes more sense to keep this as two
seperate packages.

You can still have them in the same project and you can enable the build only
for the working distro.

In this way you keep clean spec files and your users find anyway the matching
packages always in your project.

Another option is of course to build against another project repo which
provides the newer gtkmm for older distros. In this way your users would
update it (if this is not causing trouble).

I would think that building against GNOME:Factory/openSUSE_11.1 instead of
against openSUSE:11.1/standard would do this, but I have not checked.

You can edit this in your project meta data (osc meta prj home:PVince81 -e).

bye
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH