Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Feature Request : Build Packages Download Counter
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:18:48 +0200
On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 02:04:25 +0300, Death Knight wrote:
May I have some description about that functionality?
I mean is there a web page or wiki describes how its work.
Also SVN address is good for looking code.
Thanks.

The base funcionality (logging) is implemented in mod_stats:
https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/tools/download-stats
At the same place, you'll find some highly dubious scripts that are
meant to transport the logged data from one database to another, which
became the bottleneck that lead to switching off the whole statistics.
I think the code that actually displays the numbers is in the frontend
of the build service, and it shouldn't be the problem.

We are currently not logging further statistics for two reasons, first
because the numbers weren't used anyway (due to the shortcoming in
the further processing chain mentioned above), and second because I
didn't take the time to migrate the data/logging from MySQL to
PostgreSQL when I switched the rest of the database setup earlier this
year. The latter would probably be easily made up for, there shouldn't be a
problem with that.

If you are interested, maybe the concept presented at
http://mirrorbrain.org/news/rfc-concept-collecting-download-statistics/
might also be of interest, because it expands on the current logging
implementation to make it more useful to others. The logging facility as
such has the potential to be useful in other scenarios I think.

We'd be definitely very glad about finding contributors. Feel free to
get in contact for more details.