Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS for native Windows nodes
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 16:06:44 +0200
Am Freitag, 4. September 2009 05:35:05 schrieb John Pye:
Hi all

I expanded my page about Windows support for OBS as a build client on
native Windows build-nodes. The idea is to build packages directly on
Windows machines using MinGW, rather than using cross-compilers.
Accompanying the concept is a concept for a package manager for Windows
that would deal with dependencies in a way that interoperates with the
usually 'standalone' installers common on Windows.

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Concepts/Windows_Support

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

From my point of view the virtualized build system is the only way to go in
the long term. Only that one would offer the needed functionality to build
packages without the need to adapt the build system to support cross builds
(which will anyway not work in all cases).

I tried some time ago to use a wine wrapper inside of our build script to
support windows builds. At that point of time, I was not able to get gnumake
running inside of wine, but that is quite some time ago.

Another option would be to try to use a prepare ReactOS image, haven't tried
yet.

I would like to avoid to use MS Windows for opensuse.org. It would be nice if
we can support this as well, but using MS Windows would not allow the users to
run secure local builds with "osc build", because we would not be allowed to
distribute the image due to the license.

Also any thoughts on how such a thing might translate to Mac OS X, as
well. Could it be possible for such a thing to work on both platforms?

When you want to invent a new package management, sure.

However, I think it is better to support more native formats of the platform
like .cab or .msi. This allows to use standard applications for Windows which
allow to create a setup.exec from .cab or .msi files.

And an own format would require the users to install another package
management system first.

The pure implementation time of a new package format into our OBS backend code
would be quite low, if someone would find out how this format would look alike
and adapt the build script for it. (Yes some bash script and one perl module).

So, if someone is doing this job, either Michael or me can extend our OBS
backend code relative fast for this (of course someone else can do it as well,
but that needs quite some knowledge). The build script itself its modules
(there are one RPM, one Deb and one kiwi) can be done easily, if you have have
some knowledge about the windows format. This is were Michael and me are
lacking the knowldege ;)

thanks a lot for your work !
adrian

SUSE Linux Products GmbH