Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Import build service packages into git
  • From: Andreas Gruenbacher <agruen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:10:46 +0200
On Thursday 20 August 2009 17:08:01 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 14:51:08 schrieb Andreas Gruenbacher:
I agree. Migrating packages with several levels of source links becomes
somewhat complex, but the existing git frontend already requires all this
functionality; there is little left to do other than pushing the resulting
git repository to the backend. This should give us good confidence that
the conversion works well.

And I would like to see first how you intend to do the permission checking
(for write permissions as we have it now and for upcomming read
permissions).

Maybe by checking permissions the same way as the build checks permissions
itself right now? The code for doing that hasn't been implemented yet though;
in fact, git support in the backend so far only exists in the form of ideas
unfortunately.

(The permission checking code in the build service which is currently done in
the frontend might end up getting moved to the backend soon for other reasons,
which might make a little more sense for a git backend as well.)

This comes together to the feature that our current server is storing files
(esp. the large tar balls) once, even when another user creates the same
package with same tar ball at a different place and with different
permissions.

Without an idea for a solution here I see no way to move away from it.

It is easy to share the same object store among several git repositories (this
is where git stores things like files (blobs) and directories (trees), which
allows to set things up exactly as they are set up in the build service right
now. Git can also pack its object stores, which shrinks them further.

Andreas