Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Import build service packages into git
  • From: "Luke Imhoff" <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:42:34 -0500

On Aug 20, 2009, at 7:53 AM, "Andreas Gruenbacher" <agruen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thursday 20 August 2009 14:24:14 Luke Imhoff wrote:
Our internal tools use osc as a library, so the client side change
would hopefully be transparent.

That would depend on the features that your tools rely on, and how much effort
is put into osc in order to preserve the same work flow. (For example, osc is
based around the model that all commits are sent to the server immediately,
while git allows to work "offline" for a while and sync back / push changes in
batches.)

The offline work would imply that the -p local m rpm injection stuff Marcus is working on may become more important as user's copy would be more likely to be divergent from the server copy.

I'd just stress that the backend migration tools must be very good so
that people running local instances can migrate easily too or moving
away from bsdb to git as a community could prove problematic.

I agree. Migrating packages with several levels of source links becomes
somewhat complex, but the existing git frontend already requires all this
functionality; there is little left to do other than pushing the resulting git
repository to the backend. This should give us good confidence that the
conversion works well.

Thanks,
Andreas