[opensuse-buildservice] -fPIC failing on RHEL5/CentOS5 builds?
  • From: "Scott Cantor" <cantor.2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:28:34 -0400
I've just started attempting to use the build service for my project and got
a report that one of the binaries contained a bunch of text relocations,
indicating -fPIC wasn't used during the build.

After some cross checking, I found that the usual checks in configure were
being done, but that on two of the build platforms (RH5/CentOS5), the
gcc/g++ checks were failing and it was omitting the flag. Both architectures
were affected.

I tested locally with CentOS 5 and confirmed that I get different (correct)
results from my rpmbuild.

I know there's no direct access to config.log, so it's a bit difficult to
determine why this might be, but wondered if anybody had a clue or has seen
this behavior in their projects?

For reference the checks I'm referring to are:

checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... no

checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... no

I saw nothing unexpected in my local config.log where the check passes, it's
a typical gcc/g++ command.

-- Scott